Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Funny Story for Caity


I promised Caity a funny and embarrassing story; here it is.

Background information needed to fully appreciate the following story:

If you remember from my previous blog, diapers don’t really exist here. Babies just have towels and plastic bags wrapped around them. Then they just sit tight with their damp towels till the mom has a chance to get a new towel on them. Most babies are damp when I pick them up to weigh them, or their immunization cards that I write on are damp, or their mother’s backs or hands are dripping wet. It stopped bothering me and now I just remember to wash my hands REALLY good when I’m done.

Story time:

So it was a Wednesday. Constant blog readers might recall that it was “Malnourished Kids Day” at Ediofe Health Center.  It was kind of slow that day, so I did the only thing that came to my mind: started playing with the adorable babies. I was hogging this one baby (who was damp) more than usual because it kept laughing and smiling at me (opposed to screaming madly at my white skin) when I felt something warm in my lap. As I’m sure you’ve guessed by now, my skirt was sopping wet with pee. Haha. When it became apparent what happened they all just laughed. I took note of the fact that this is not a culture where you apologize if your baby releases their bladder on someone. After thanking the baby in Lugbara and making the mom laugh I returned her and went looking for a towel (by now it is dripping down my legs). Since it was a large amount of urine, Sister Jane told me to go home, change, and wash up and then return. So I did. Ha. Remember that I have a fifteen minute walk back home and almost everyone stares or greets the “mundu” girls on the way. Needless to say, I heard some snickers on the way.
When I got to the gate of Pacis, one of the guards (who have all become great friends) saw my skirt and I explained that I had been playing with a baby. “BAHA! Did a baby urinate on you? BAHAHA!” Not exactly the word I would have used, but yes.
So I went and washed up, changed, and went back to work.

THE END.

Hope that made you laugh, Caity. And everyone else too.

No comments:

Post a Comment